Pages

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Wednesday's Walk Down Memory Lane - Sissy

On Wednesdays I like to take a trip down memory lane along with many other people. If you would like to join in, or just read other peoples memories, click on the link and follow the directions!

Well, today I was going to write about one of my childhood memories, but after making a telephone call last night to my sister, I changed my mind. My post is still going to include some of my childhood, I'm jut going down a different path with them.

My Mum and Dad were married on my Mum's 18th birthday. My Dad came from a large family, 10 brothers and sisters. My Mum had 1 brother and 2 sisters. My brother and sister were born fairly close together and then there was a string of miscarriages. Eight to be exact. One little baby was stillborn and one little boy, David, lived a few short hours. Attitudes and thinking was a lot different back then, my Mum didn't get to see David before he died because he was transferred to a different hospital. She also didn't get to see or hold her stillborn baby. Like I said, attitudes and thinking were a lot different, this was in the 50s. My parents finally realized that another baby was not going to happen, that was, until they adopted me.

My brother and sister are 15 and 16 years older than me. Needless to say, I was quite spoiled growing up. I shared a bedroom with my sister. I tell my oldest son that it is a family tradition when I can see his frustration of sharing his room with his little brother - Joshua is 21, Samuel t is 3. I called Gayle, "Sissy". In fact, I was quite devastated when I found out that wasn't her real name, I think I was around 5. To me my sister was a fairy princess. My favorite photo of her is when she was all dressed up to go to a dance. I don't remember what type of dance, it was fairly formal I think. She was wearing a full length satin dress that she had made herself. Her hair was all done up and I thought she was beautiful. I still have a little toy tea set that Gayle bought me for Christmas one year.

I usually call me sister in Australia every 2 weeks or so. I missed calling this past weekend, so decided to call last night. Her husband answered the phone and told me that Gayle had been in hospital since Friday. He followed that with a, "I guess I should have called and told you." Gee, do ya think??? I called Gayle at the hospital and she sounded dreadful. Will call again tonight and hopefully she will be doing better. My Mum would always tell Gayle that when she died, it was up to Gayle to keep me up to date on all the family happenings, to keep in contact with me, to stay close to me. That is something that Gayle has taken very seriously. Because of the age difference, we weren't very close while I was growing up, but that has changed over the years since Mum and Dad died.

We are as different as night and day, but we love each other. Gayle loves angels and every Christmas I send her an angel figurine. I think I will send her an extra one this week.

Sally-Ann

14 comments:

Lilyofthevalley - Tanya said...

Enjoyed reading! I do hope your sister is feeling better soon too. Having siblings is special. :)

L said...

Hope your sister is feeling well again soon. Sister's are so special - it doesn't matter how far apart you are, how long away - they're always there...

Linda said...

Sally Ann, Yes, do make those phone calls to your sissy and send those angels while you can,...and tell her all of your sweet memories that you shared with us here.

Life swiftly flies by. You may have read my post about my sister Judy Laree recently. She passed away on Jan.16th, and I have just returned from her memorial service.

We called each other sissy when we spoke on the phone over the years. She lived in Northern Calif., and then moved to Oregon, and I live in Kansas, so there was quite a distance between us too, but we remained close in our hearts over the years.

Judy was 8 yrs. older than me and we were quite different,...yet there was such a special bond there that never went away.

Last year she was in the hospital a dozen times, and was suffering most every day,...so I feel a peace that her suffering has ended now that she is in heaven with Jesus.

I hope that your sweet sissy will recover and that you two can keep sharing your loving memories.

I had seen her just 5 months ago, and I am so glad I went.

God bless you both!
Linda

Mindy said...

I hope your sister is feeling better soon!

I am a sister to 3 little sisters and one brother. I'm the oldest, there are 10 years between me and my brother and 15 and 17 and 18 years between my sisters and me. All three of my little sisters are adopted =) I love them all very much. It's hard being the oldest. It does fall to me to keep in touch. But I do so enjoy spending time with each one of them!

Kristin said...

I loved that story! I hope your sister feels better soon. I am adopted to, but I never had any siblings. I love to hear stories about siblings being there for each other, as I now have 3 girls of my own. Your sister sounds like a very special lady!

Paula said...

I too hope that your sister is up and about soon. What a lovely memory you have shared with us.

Unknown said...

Sally-Ann,
What a touching story of your childhood memories with your sister. How neat to be raised with siblings so much older. I know it must have been different, but you were surely cherished. :)

My kids are from 1 year to 18 and it's fun to see the relationships between all of the different ages.

I hope your "sissy" gets better quickly and that she'll love the angel you send her.

Thanks for sharing today.
Lynnette

Pen to Paper; Spirit to Soul said...

Aaaawww, sister love!!! Ain't it great!
My sissy and I always say, Lord, please bless the mister who comes between me and my sister! (not original!) Yes, I still call her sissy...and she me as well! We are only 4 yrs apart and did not get along growing up but are now very close and I would not trade that relationship!
I pray your sister gets well quickly! Thank you for sharing.

Pamela in TX

The Kirby Family said...

Your sister will be in our prayers Sally Ann!
What a great idea to do the "Walk Dow Memory Lane" every week. I will go check out the website. I really enjoy reading your posts.

Kelly @ Sufficient Grace Ministries said...

Praying for your sister, Sally Ann... Thank you for sharing your lovely memories.

Abigail Kraft said...

Aw...such sweet memories! It must have been a lot of fun growing up with siblings so much older than you. Different--yes--but fun nonetheless! :)

Thanks for sharing, and I hope your sissy recovers quickly!

In His arms,
--Abigail

Chat with Kathleen said...

Sally-Ann,
My best wishes for a quick recovery for Gayle. I will say prayers for her.
Your story about your sister reminded me of my sister,Maureen Jean, we are 15 years and 8 months apart. Growing up I took care of her, when I went to college in NY she was only 7 and how I missed her. I also shared a bedroom with her, I remember our walls being plastered with her idol, David Cassidy. We have become very close as you, once she married and had children, we became even closer. Thanks for bring back so many wonderful memories for me.

Unknown said...

I don't have any matural sisters, but my sister in laws, and my very close friend who I have been friends with for 20 years ( like a sister) are very special to me. I hope she feels better soon. Thanks for the post, and I always enjoy reading these memories. I love your family!

MaricrisG said...

I hope your sister get well soon. It is admirable that inspite of the age difference you remained close. Happy Valentines day!