Pages

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Wednesday's Walk Down Memory Lane - Pass the hair dye and wrinkle cream.

Before starting this weeks




I need to answer a question that was asked many times after last weeks post.


What is Blancmange???
Blancmange is a sweet dessert commonly made with milk or cream and sugar thickened with gelatin, cornstarch or Irish moss, and often flavored with almonds. It is usually set in a mould and served cold. Although traditionally white, blancmanges are frequently given a pink color as well. Some similar desserts are Bavarian cream, panna cotta, and haupia.
The historical blancmange originated some time in the Middle Ages and usually consisted of capon or chicken, milk or almond milk, rice and sugar and was considered to be an ideal food for the sick.


I do not have a recipe to share, the one I used in 7th grade was thrown away. I do not like the above mentioned dessert and do not intend to ever make it again. Though, my Dad obviously loved blancmange, after all, he ate it every night for a week after I slaved away to make it for him. So, it must have some redeeming qualities......right???


So, now the great blancmange question is out of the way, on to this weeks "Walk down memory lane".


I wasn't sure what to write this week and then I read Lynette's post, had a chuckle and thought I would add my 2 cents worth on being what some consider a "older mum". I remember the first time someone asked if Samuel was my grandchild. To add insult to injury, they thought my daughter Jessica was his Mum. I wasn't very pleased. I corrected the assumption. It also reminded me not to jump to conclusions!


There are definitely differences in having a baby at the age of 24 and 29, and at the age of 41 and 42. I have just listed some. They are in no particular order. They may not make sense. But, they are my random thoughts on being an older mother.

July, 1987

Joshua and I are at Reptile Gardens, South Dakota

  • No morning sickness at the age of 42 - thank goodness, I think that Heavenly Father thought I had so many other things to deal with, forget the morning sickness this time around!

  • At the age of 24 and 29 everyone assumed that they were planned pregnancies. At the age of 41 and 42 everyone assumed (and wrongly) that they were "oopsy" babies. In fact, one of the nurses at the OB office picked a particularly hormonal day to voice her thoughts and assumptions about that...........

  • When I was younger everyone assumed that they were my children. At the age of 41 and 42 there is uncertainty, especially when my older children are present.

  • I am much more patient with Samuel. I don't sweat the small stuff.

  • When I was younger I killed myself to have the house spotless at all times. Oh, how things have changed. Don't get me wrong, I still love to have a tidy house. But, if it is a little cluttered at times, I don't have a meltdown about it.

  • I get so much more tired now.

  • I can no longer outrun a 3-year-old unless I am really motivated, so I have to out think him.

  • Instead of being on the receiving end of good intentioned advice to new mothers, I find I am giving it. Sometimes I close my mouth when I find my comment is going to start, "When my 21-year-old was 3.....".

  • A lot more new fangled kid's contraptions now than 20 years ago, even 15 or so years ago!

  • Potty training is still the same.

  • Tantrums never change either.

  • It is fun having older kids, I don't have to stress finding a reliable babysitter for Samuel. Jim and I go out on dates, alone, much more this time around than when we were younger.

  • I wish I had taken more time to cuddle, read, sing, play and explore with my older children when they were little. I did all those things, just wish I had done them more.

  • Nuzzling a freshly bathed little boy's neck is still one of life's greatest joys. Giving my 6foot 2inch big boy a hug isn't that bad either. A 17-year-old daughter's hugs are a joy as well.

I could go on and on of course, but I need to get on with the day. Samuel has the TV remote controls and is running around changing the channels, all the while imitating the laugh of The Count from Sesame Street.


Mother's Day 2008

Not the best photo, but we are at Disney World, all hot and sweaty, but having fun.

So, it's Wednesday, and thanks for walking down memory lane with me.If you would like to know more about Wednesday's Walk Down Memory Lane, click on the link above, join in, or just read other's contributions.


Sally-Ann

5 comments:

Nutmeg said...

Beautiful photos! Like I said to Lynnette, you just don't look "grandmotherly"...not sure what that really looks like, but it definitely doesn't look like you! lol
~Amy

Kari said...

I love walking down memory lane with you. Thanks for sharing!

Kelly @ Sufficient Grace Ministries said...

Love it, Sally Ann. Isn't funny how people seem to always have some sort of comment or opinion? Ugg! You and Lynette just keep loving those sweet blessings and don't let those naysayers bother you one bit! You are blessed among women!!!

Thank you for your sweet comment! Love to you...

Anonymous said...

What wonderful memories! And I just want to AMEN that tantrums NEVER change lol

Linda said...

I liked your story today. You are blessed many times over!

Lynnette likes to go on dates with her hubby now that they have built in babysitters too. Each stage of life has it's benefits. ((smile))

And one day when you are a grandma you will love it too. But for now just enjoy evey minute.

Love, Linda