Pages

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

The Power of 3 Words

This isn't the blog post I planned for today.
I am trying to get in the habit of posting something every day.
I have tried this before and failed.
Miserably.
So, we will see how I go this time!!!
This will actually be shorter than what I had planned.  Hallelujah you may say!!

When Sam first started to talk, he developed like any typical child.  The only thing that seemed truly "odd" was that he would not wave bye-bye like most babies eventually do and he would never say,
"I love you".

Eventually his words started to just go away.  If he wanted to tell us something, he would spell it out with his foam letters or the alphabet magnets on the refrigerator. 
Still, every day I would look in Sam's eyes and say,
"I love you."
Every day for years.
 
Sam had some wonderful speech and behavior therapists and gradually, his words started to come back.
 He also had a wonderful dog named Blue.
 Sam would talk to us through Blue.
If Sam wanted us to know something, he would tell Blue.

Then one day, I was sitting on the bench in the hallway, putting on my shoes.  We were about to head off to school.  Just like I did every morning, I said, "Sam, I love you."  But, this time, not like every morning, Sam turned to me and said,
"I love you too."

I cried.

This afternoon I also cried.
We were driving along in the car, listening to the radio.  Sam said, "Mum, I have something to tell you."  I said, "What?"  Sam said,
"I love you."

I remembered.

No comments: