Pages

Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Wah wah wah Wah wah

So, I assume that everyone is familiar with Charlie Brown.  You never see the adults in any of the Charlie Brown movies, just their legs.  You never hear them actually talk either.  All you hear is...
Or, just in case you have never heard it, which I find impossible inconceivable! 
I was thinking about this today.  How many times do we talk, give our opinion, our advice, our heartfelt thoughts and then realize that no one is actually listening?
It has happened to me on occasion and I don't know about you, but, I find it really annoying.
I have written about Samuel finding his voice before.  If you don't know his story, you can read it here - The Power of 3 Words
We always knew that if Samuel could tell us what he needed, that his meltdowns would diminish. 
 After all, don't we all want to be heard?

Today was a lesson for me.
Firstly, it can be a crushing feeling to realize that nobody listens to you.  Well, I guess they listen, but do they hear what you are saying?
Secondly, never assume that others understand what you are saying to them.  Today was the lesson of the pot holder.
Sam and I were doing a science experiment today.  It involved the melting of a marshmallow over a candle and observing the changes.  I forgot to bring a pot holder up to our class room, so I sent Sam down to get it.  I described what it looked like and where he would find it.  I heard Sam down in the kitchen opening the draw that holds all the pots and pans.  "We don't need a pot..." and once again told him where it was and what it looked like.  Sam came up with a pot.  So, I ended up going down and showing him where the pot holder was and what it was.  After all that, we didn't even use the stupid pot holder!!!!
But, it was a lesson for me.  Never assume that people get what you are trying to say.  Sam was listening, but, obviously, I needed to do a better job explaining.  If it is important, make yourself heard.  Way back when Sam had full blown meltdowns, he was trying desperately to make himself heard.  I look at the tv, social media, the news, etc., and see so many people having the equivalent of a melt down.  People think that to get what they want, a public display of aggression is the way to go.  We see this all the time in customer service.  "I want to get a discount, so I will yell at this person until I get it."
Can you be heard and understood using a quiet voice?
I think the answer is yes.
Can we be heard, understood and get what we want using a quiet voice?
I still think the answer is yes.  Just ask my grand-babies!!! 

No comments: